Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's All About the Cross


On a walk I enjoyed the gentle breeze, a time to pray, and the exercise.  Besides all the joys of the walk; it was my only means of transportation.  So, off I went to walk to complete a few errands at the store.  It’s sometimes the simplest things that can bring the greatest revelation to your life.  As all of the cars drove by with their agenda; I was able to enjoy the moment.  A moment of quietness of soul in the midst of a busy world; a world we can get so lost in.  It’s not hard to get lost in the cares of life.  Life is filled with tremendous responsibilities, relationships, and revelations of how short life is.  Nevertheless, it’s all about the journey to our destination; our eternal home.  As I continued my walk upon the busy street, I was so grateful for the “sign” of knowing I was close to my destination.  Only as I fixed my eyes upon this sign could I continue to walk to a place of rest.
 What was the “sign” my eyes were fixed upon?  It was an enormous cross standing in the ground; its truth reflected for all to see.  Regardless of what direction a car turns or a person walked on this intersection, it wasn’t hard to see this cross.  Upon my churches property is this beautiful white cross reflecting a simple truth; sadly some people are so busy to reflect upon it or stop to ask about it.  Yet, the message of Christ is displayed to the world through the cross but who is leading them? 

“How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?”  Romans 10:14

 It’s all about the cross!  We can’t find direction for our lives or eternal life without the cross.  Upon salvation we begin a wonderful relationship with Jesus Christ, a relationship that’s growing in the grace and knowledge of Him.  Faith is simply taking God at His Word!  Yet, faith is what starts the journey of life with Christ.  Although this world is filled with chaos; my life doesn’t have to be.  Peace can only be found in Christ!  A peace that passes all understanding and it can’t be taken from me.  “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27

 Our lives will not escape hardships, trials, or troubles.  It doesn’t mean I don’t trip upon the rocks or avoid dangerous obstacles but I can walk safely.  “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4  It’s only through keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus can we finish this journey of our faith and life.  We started our faith in Christ, so shall we finish with Christ but only if we stay focused upon his voice.  We are to walk the straight and narrow path; a path many will not choose.  So, we must be careful not to get caught up in the cares of the world or it will choke the word.  (Mark 4:19) If we desire to walk with Christ, we have to bear fruit; fruit that will last. (John 15:16)

Life is a precious gift; a gift from God.  Yet, what I do with it will be a gift I bring back to Him. “At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light and the burdens of my heart rolled away”  It was there by faith I received my sight and now I am happy all the day”  (At the Cross by Issac Watts)  As this beautiful old hymn anchors the power truth of our redemption, I am so grateful the cross keeps me on the right path. 
 I have a question for you?  Are you on the right path for eternal life?  If not, it’s time to start this journey at the cross.  Even if you lost your way home, the cross will point you in the right direction.  Don’t miss this opportunity to come to Him, tomorrow isn’t promised only today is the day of salvation.    Regardless of what you have done, peace can be found.  Your past doesn’t have to trip you or hinder the life He wants to give.  Jesus Christ will not only change your life, He will walk with you always.   Keep in mind, our relationship with Christ is a journey of growth so abide in Him.  It’s only through abiding in Him can we bear fruit.  We grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ, so realize it’s a relationship of love being developed.  Christ doesn’t want perfect lives; He wants us to be loving, walking in truth, and changing from glory to glory.         



       

No comments:

Post a Comment