Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Words Nailed to My Heart

Shortly after my salvation, I will never forget my first encounter with spiritual warfare.  Although I wasn’t familiar with the strategies of Satan or his battlefield, Jesus opened my eyes to the truth.  The setting of the encounter wasn’t unfamiliar; it was my grandmother’s kitchen.  Sadly, this event was repeated three or four times a week.  As my father pounded the table with his fist; I sat complete frozen.  Anger, rejection, and confusion surrounded the complete atmosphere to capture my innocence, self-esteem, and my life.  Usually a six-pack of beer or scotch on the rocks brought the most damming words out of my father’s mouth.  With wounds of abuse, divorce, and past regrets my father’s anger erupted to shout his pain.  As he pounded his fist on the kitchen table, his words were nailed to my heart.    

With no escape, I would silently endure his rage until sunrise.  Yet, Jesus spoke to my heart, “Tina, look into your father’s eyes.”  I admit I didn’t want to obey Jesus.   As I slowly lifted my head to stare into my father’s eyes; I trembled with fear.  When our eyes met I couldn’t understand how his eyes were so evil, dark, and angry.  Jesus spoke to me, “Tina, the voice speaking isn’t your father’s it is the enemy-Satan.”  So, I started praying against him.

     As a new Christian what was difficult for me to comprehend, it was my father.  My father wasn’t a stranger or unfamiliar with my ways but he spoke lies about me.  “I was a whore” or “I was stupid!”  Yet, these were the “mild” words my father spoke to me.  After arriving home very late from the bar, my father would wake me up and scream at me until about an hour before school.  As the sun arose, it brought relief.  Yet, my spirit was deeply deprived of love and affection.  It was only through the love of Christ, I was able to overcome the destruction of Satan’s lies.  As the Word of God washed away the filth, I started to see my reflection- a child of God.  (Ephesians 5:26)   

     As I worked around the house, the Lord prompted me to write about this.  At first, I was very hesitant to obey until I understood the purpose.  Words either empower or entrap a person’s life.  Doubt, unbelief, and faith are built upon words we believe.  Our faith is only built through hearing the Word of God. (Romans 10:17)  It’s the only weapon to demolish every stronghold, thought, or damming lie. 

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. ~2 Corinthians 10:5

What dwells in the heart of man; it will be revealed through the mouth of man.  Our misconceptions of ourselves, hurtful experiences, lies spoken from loved ones or friends can disfigure our image.  So, it’s very important to daily nourish our hearts with God’s Word through meditation, study, and spiritual songs.  It’s our weapon of defense, combat, and shield.  (Ephesians 6:10-18)

God speaks. Satan speaks. The one who you listen to is the one you give the power to. As children of God, we don't have to listen to Satan's voice, resist him.   Yet, we need to recognize our enemy, realize he will speak, and the message of bondage he brings.  Eve, Moses, Samson, Nehemiah, and Jesus either encountered Satan through personal contact or those influenced by him.  So, we must be prepared for his schemes to defeat them.  We overcome the enemy by the blood of Christ, the Word, standing firm in faith, and prayer.  (Revelation 12:11; Ephesians 6:10-18)

     As Christian’s we need to be careful with the words we speak to the world.  We must speak the truth with love, full of grace, and without condemnation.  Satan entraps people through words of destruction; we need to speak God's word to bring freedom. Choose careful the words you speak, they could direct someone for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment