Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Heart of Stone

When the Word of God captures your attention, it’s for a personal and eternal importance.  As those precious moments occur, we need to truly meditate, prayerfully consider why it’s captured us, and being vulnerable to God. God longs to speak to us, He yearns for our attention, affection, and availability.  Yet, do we long for the same communion?

     Do we yearn for Him?  Do we delight in His Word?  Delight and yearn are words we associate with seeking the love of our life.  Yet, do we realize “He is the lover of our soul?”  Do you realize that when you love the Lord with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, that there is no room for anything else? 

     Yet, our lives are so filled with everything else; we forget the source of life.  Sadly so many people are burden with care, miserable, and unhappy for the neglect of intimacy with God.  Song of Songs is probably the most neglected book of the Bible but it’s the most revealing of God’s desire towards us.  God desires an intimate relationship with us.  God doesn’t desire to be only an emergency call but a call of loving affection. 

Question:  What is the first feeling about your personal devotional time with God?  Is it guilt?  Is it shame?  Out of obligation?  Or is it love?

     If it isn’t out of a longing to love God, it’s time to evaluate our life.  Honestly, would you desire to be with someone who doesn’t want to be with you?  No, we would be hurt or withdraw feeling unvalued or desired.  Yet, does God ever feel neglected in our relationship?  Any Christian will agree God’s presence is the best place to be but when was the last time you were there?  In Song of Songs, 3:1-3, the woman (Solomon’s wife) is distressed about not being able to find her love.  All through the night she searches for her lovers presence, she doesn’t care the hour.  She is desperate for his affection; she will search through the night.  Her heart will not be quenched until he is there.

     Song of Songs 3:1-2, “All night long on my bed I looked for the one my heart loves; I looked for him but did not find him. I will get up now and go about the city, through its streets and squares; I will search for the one my heart loves.  So, I looked for him and did not find him.”
     Our hearts are revived when love is awakened; it’s more than desire-it’s embraced.  When we truly embrace the deeps of God’s love for us, we desire no other lover.  We are devoted completely to Him; we don’t allow anyone or anything to interfere with our love.  I am my beloved and He is mine.  Beloved, God desires your complete affection, your complete heart, and life. Will you give it to Him?

     Honestly, I admit my personal time with God needs attention but I hear my lover calling.  So, I will run to his call, love awaits me.  I do not want his love to pass me by, I need it.  His love is what keeps me breathing, His fellowship is a treasure, and His presence keeps me.  I am so grateful that God desires me.  Also, He desires you. 
      If we desire to have a heart of affection with God, we have to be changed.  Our hearts are important for it reveals our devotion.  Can a heart be broken, changed, and restored?  Only through the grace and mercy of Christ can any heart be changed, this is my hope and security. A heart of stone doesn’t mean the knowledge of God isn’t present but the love of God is absent.  How can a heart be molded if it’s not connected to the creator?  A heart of stone doesn’t do anything but reflect its condition.  It can only be changed in the hands of the Creator.  “And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.” Ezekiel 36:26

     Whether you never encounter God’s love or it’s been awhile since you were in His embrace, it’s never too late to come.  He is searching day and night for your love and affection, He is coming.  Yet, He is beating on the door, asking for you to answer.  He is waiting!  He stands at the door but if the door isn’t answered, he will walk away.  Although His love never ends for you, He doesn’t force it upon you.  Don’t miss this opportunity; the Spirit of the Lord is calling.  He is calling your name?  Will you answer?  Don't wait for tomorrow; it's not promised.  


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Tina, for your obedience to God's word and posting these that really make us stop and think. And pray and obey. May our Lord bless your work here and also bless you and your family. And for Dona and her kids in what she is adding to this as well!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete