Thursday, July 5, 2012

Only One Thing Is Needed

One of the most beautiful expressions within my church family is our heart for worship.  As the music begins to play, we don’t stay at the pews we come to the front of the altar.  Unified we all stand with arms uplifted, voices raised, and even joyful expressions to worship God.  As I approached the front of the altar, my heart was burdened with life.  All of the cares of the world mounted upon my spirit; choking the faith inside my heart.  It’s not hard to allow the pressures of life to mount upon us; it only takes an incorrect view of life.  Yet, I admit my heart was about to collapse; it was just too much to carry.  Usually we allow the pressures to mount; we unfortunately explode or start getting a sour attitude towards family, friends, or co-workers.  Although we have given all of our best efforts, we still fall short.  It’s a horrible feeling being found in the pit of despair.

As I approached the altar to worship, my heart was too heavy with care.  All of the household chores, financial concerns, family responsibilites, and issues at work started overwhelming me.  With all of my best effort, I was starting to come un-glued.  My patience was very thin with my family who should know what’s bothering me.  Yet, I never expressed my burden, so how can they carry it or lift it with me?  Sadly, we expect the same with God; we don’t cast our burdens upon Him.  Instead of relying upon His Word, seeking His face, we expect to conquer this mountain alone.  Yet, as approach the mountain, it’s too big for our britches.  Our faith is weak due to the neglect of staying connected to the source-Jesus.  We are to abide in Him, the Living Word, so when we need assistance it will be granted.

     Besides all of the burdens of life; Satan decided to through a dose of guilt upon me.  “You call yourself a woman of God!”  As I continued to listen to his voice, my heart grew very faint.  Nevertheless, God doesn’t desire our hearts to grow weary or faint, He wants to renew us.  As I stood so silently, the tears started to pour as the presence of God filled the room.  As the woman with the bottle of perfume, all I could do was pour myself at His feet.  With my whole heart, I just decided to worship.  What’s so beautiful, as I poured myself out, God lifted me up.  According to the Word, God inhabits the praise of His people, He enjoys dwelling with us.  “But thou art holy, thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.” (Psalm 22:3 KJV)  So, I just worshipped Him!  As the cords of life were removed from my heart; I was able to be renewed.  As the worship service continued, I could feel the Lord's presence with tenderness and peace around me.  All I could do was cry before Him and adore Him.  As I worshipped the Lord, I could feel the pressures slowly lifting from my heart. 
     In His presence is fullness of joy, so why do we always cut it short?  We get so worried and upset about many things but neglect what is better.  As Jesus told Martha, “Only one thing is needed.”  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:42)  As I went to Jesus, I got what I needed.  As my heart was being lifted, I couldn't help but notice a sweet wind surrounding me.  As I worshipped Him, I felt so uplifted, renewed, and free.  Although my heart was broken, my spirit melted into His hands.  Rest will not come until there is complete surrender.  The weight will hold you until you lay it down at the feet of Jesus.  Worship wasn't made for us to "feel good" it' s purpose is to center our lives on what matters-God.  As our hearts are center on Him, He will keep us.  God will keep us in perfect peace whose mind is on Him.  (Isaiah 26:3)  Peace isn't found in anyone else but Christ, He is the Prince of Peace.

     When the presence of God truly comes, our lives will be re-arranged.  Sadly, we don't keep an attitude of worship daily within our lives, so we become overwhelmed.  If life is getting the best of you, get the best of it by worshipping God.  Nothing can defeat Him, HE IS GOD! 

As the  perfume filled the room, she caught the attention of all.  She offered the most precious gift, an expensive perfume poured out on His feet.  Although others rebuked her worship, Jesus accepted it.  Although her life was overwhelmed with care her tears showed flowed upon His feet.  As she tries to wipe the tears with her hair but it's useless her heart is overwhelmed, so she worships Him.  It's interesting, the Bible says, "She will always be remembered for her gift."  (Luke 7:36-39; Matthew 26:7-13)

     Worship isn't about us, it's about Christ.  As we pour ourselves upon His feet, He sees our need.  Although the tears mount, He patiently listens with tenderness until we are poured out.  He doesn't rush us, He allows us to be emptied with all our cares.  Even without words; He understands.  Yet, He doesn’t desire for us to leave broken; He is our Healer.  Only one thing is needed to remove the cares of the world; time with Jesus.  So, run into your prayer chambers to pour out your heart, He is waiting for your worship.  Even if it comes with brokenness and tears, He will receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment