Friday, January 21, 2011

Comfy Pajamas

        Just this past Christmas, I bought myself a present: new comfy, soft, purple pajamas.  With this new sleepwear, I purchased new slippers, new nail polish, and stuff to do a facial.  It was going to be a wonderful night to give myself a makeover.  Sometimes, we need those precious moments to ourselves and learn to value ourselves.  But my problem, I didn’t just like my new pajamas, I live in them. 
     My college friends and my family would be completely shocked to discover, I live most of my days in my comfy pajamas or my jogging outfits.  My beautiful wardrobe doesn’t get touched anymore and I rarely buy anything for myself.  Well, I have changed so much in this area, my husband made a comment, “What happened to my beautiful?”  (My husband’s nickname for me is Beautiful)  I responded, “What do you mean?”  He answered, “Do you remember how you dressed during our college days?”  I laughed and said, “Yes, I do.” “I never left the dorm without my makeup, my hair fixed right, or a nice outfit.”  “You use to get so mad at me because I wouldn’t wear blue jeans and a t-shirt.”  My husband said, “I miss my girl.”
     Ouch! His words cut right to my heart but it really only scratched the surface of the problem-my weakness.  Although, I don’t have the athletic figure I had in college, my weakness isn’t food.  Weakness, oh how I hate you!  No matter whom you are, where you live, or your age we all have a weakness.  My weakness has always been my self-esteem.  Since I came to Christ, my self-esteem has improved but it’s a daily struggle to maintain it.  It’s a daily mental battle for me, so I have to keep myself nourished with the truth of God’s word.  In Christ, I have gained the ability to see myself as God does.  It wasn’t an overnight process; it has taken years to abolish the enemies damning lies.  Nevertheless, the enemy will attack my mind, so I have to keep my mind saturated with the Word.  It’s my only defense and my greatest weapon.
     If someone placed a bottle of Jack Daniels on my kitchen counter, it wouldn’t tempt me at all.  Even if I wasn’t a Christian, I wouldn’t touch alcohol because it destroyed my childhood.  Being raised in a home of an alcoholic has brought so much pain to my life, I just can’t desire it.   If this is your weakness, I don’t condemn you.  We all have a “secret scar” or struggle we don’t like to share with others. 
     Right now, I want to encourage those who suffer from a low self-esteem.  If anything, I want you to gain strength so you can overcome it.  Whatever our weakness, we can OVERCOME IT THROUGH THE GRACE AND STRENGTH OF CHRIST.  What really woke me up was a rebuke from a close friend about this issue.  He said, “So your opinion of yourself is greater than God’s truth.”  “What do you mean?” I said.  He answered, “According to the Word of God if we confess of our sins with remorse, we are forgiven, correct?”  “Yes, that’s true.”  I said.  He answered, “How you view yourself, is saying God is a liar?” “So, what are you going to do, walk in your lies or God’s truth?”
     After this conversation, I really started thinking about what my friend said.  In silence, I just cried before the Lord and sought His forgiveness.  In my life, I was defeating myself with my own words.  Sometimes, we can be our own worst enemy. 
     Proverbs 23:7 says, “FOR AS HE THINKETH IN HIS HEART, SO IS HE: Eat and drink, saith he to thee: but his heart is not with thee.”
So, what are you telling yourself?  Oh, I can’t overcome this; I am just a born failure.  Or no one really likes me, I am just a loser.  It’s time to accept the truth of what God says about us.  We need to be careful with the words we speak to ourselves and to others.  According to the Word, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” Proverbs 18:21.  Also, Jesus said, “From the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.  So, our thought life and the words we speak are very important for our spiritual health.
     What does God’s word say about you?  I have a list below to help you, please feel free to print this and keep in your Bible.
·         You are fearfully and wonderfully made (PSALM 139:14)
·         He has peaceful thoughts towards you (Jeremiah 29:11)
·         You are the apple of His eye (Deut. 32:10)
·         Created in His likeness, You are good (Genesis 1:27)
·         Holy (I Peter 1:16)
·         Friend of God (John 15:15)
·         Heir of the promise  (Gal. 3:29)
·         Forgiven (Acts 10:43)
·         Loved (John 3:16)
     It’s time to quit speaking hurtful lies to you or allow the adversary to say anything.  Just because the Devil speaks, doesn’t mean you have to listen.  The Lord has provided the truth to combat every lie; it’s time to accept God’s truth.  God doesn’t hate you.  He isn’t disgusted with you or given up on you.  Sometimes, we sit in our comfy pajamas because it feels safe, warm, and we don’t “feel” it’s important.  It is very important to see yourself in the proper light.  It’s time to clothe ourselves in Christ and remove the comfy pajamas. 
     What every your weakness, God has the ability to help you overcome it.  You are not the only one facing it, we all do.  Even the patriarchs had weaknesses; don’t believe me read Hebrews 11:34.  If they can overcome it, so can you.

IF JESUS IS YOUR SAVIOR FROM SIN AND LORD OF YOUR LIFE, HE WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU AND GIVE YOU HIS STRENGTH TO BE MADE PERFECT IN YOUR WEAKNESS

No comments:

Post a Comment