Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Heart Cry-Revival for America

"There is nothing wrong with America that the Faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.” Dwight D. Eisenhower

     While sitting at my desk, I was reading our monthly newsletter about all of the new changes with in my department. It was nothing unusually, however the quote from our past president capture my attention and caused me to reflect upon our nation’s current condition. As an American, preacher, wife and mother, I am very concerned about our nation’s current condition spiritually, financially, and our future. We don’t have to look very far to see the effects of our conditions. Many families are unemployed, losing their homes, and struggling to find any assistance within their reach. We desperately need to assist each other to overcome these difficult times. Nevertheless, I have many questions plaguing my heart: could this have been prevented, where do we go from here, and will my children’s future be in jeopardy? To many people, I may be considered “old fashioned” for my belief’s but I would rather be considered “old fashioned” then a hypocrite. The word of God is infallible (completely true), so I choose to govern my life with each anointed word.

   Understandably, many American’s do not agree with my choice, however, they can’t deny our history was founded on the Word of God. Sadly, throughout my lifetime, I have seen a dramatic rejection of God, His name, or anything pertaining to the Bible. We can’t change our foundation of this nation, however; many people are trying too, making the foundation crumble.
      As a child, I remember praying for my classmates, my school, staff, and my meal before entering the lunchroom. My teacher, Mrs. Whatley, encourage each child daily to pray if they were the head of the line. She was a wonderful role model of compassion, integrity, and dedication to her school. Teachers will always impact the children they teach, hopefully for the good.
 Nevertheless, our nation decided to challenge and change their decision. Many classmates or teachers would advise, we can’t pray in school or read the Bible. Many will scream that there is a “separation of church and state” but don’t truly understanding the purpose of those words. It was never to separate the morals or beliefs within our communities, governments, and homes. There is no where in the constitution or our Bill of Rights to state we can’t pray or worship God. Now, many people are trying to take the name of God out of our Pledge of Allegiance or off our currency. Our nation was founded upon prayer, the Bible, and conviction to do right to others.
      John Adams said, "The Constitution was written for a moral and religious people." These men desired to have the freedom to love God, equality for everyone, and instill a government to honor their God. Sadly, our children don’t know truths or it is hardly mentioned anymore in school. Parents must teach these truths, so they will not depart from them.
     During my adolescence, I was challenged by my English teacher for my beliefs as she taught mythology. After the first lesson, I was upset about her right to teach this to us and it was wrong for me to have my Bible. If I wanted to talk about God or pray in school, it seems this was always challenged, so I couldn’t understand why she was permitted to do this. So, I was very angry about this, I entered the next class period with a quiet but bothersome persona. My Music History teacher immediately noticed this, so he questioned me about it. He asked me, “What is wrong?” I responded, “If I am allowed to be completely honest, I will tell you.” So, I explained this as quickly as possible before the class began. Instead of doing his class lesson, he decided to share my concerns with my classmates to find out their concerns and opinions. Much to my surprise, this discussion continued after the bell rang unto the next class session. However, my music teacher decided to share my concerns with my English teacher. The following day, my English teacher (who was also my homeroom teacher) asked if she could talk to me. She said, "I heard you weren't happy about my lesson." I advised I don't agree with the fact you can teach this but I can't share my faith.

bible-studying-pen-papger.jpg image by twetor77 I am so grateful for God’s Holy Word, as I studied it during my teenage years; I would read usually seven chapters a night before going to bed. I spent my hours each night in prayer; I would always wake my mother up, and so she would tell me pray with all our heart but quietly. I didn’t come from a Christian home if anything as far from it. When I accepted Christ, my life really changed. The love of Jesus Christ totally captivated my heart because someone accepted me. I wasn’t ashamed of God or His word but grateful I was studying it. He will anoint us with the words to say before we realize what is taking place.
     Anyway, looking back I realized my steps were ordered by the Lord who anointed my words.  As the class started, my teacher said, “I want to have a debate about Adam and Eve, Abraham, Noah, and Jesus from the Bible, does anyone want to challenge me?” At first, there was a deathly, cold, and long silence in class but all eyes were on me. In high school, everyone knew I had a strong relationship with God, stood for what I believed in, and didn’t really do the “party” scene as some of the others. So, I immediately accepted my teacher’s debate, as she looked at me. So, we went through the history of scripture through the Old Testament but she wasn’t really interested but a confrontation with me. One part of the debate, I remember very well was about who ate the fruit from the Garden of Eden, Adam or Eve. She keep saying, Adam ate the fruit first. I advised, “You are mistaken, it was Eve.” She keeps trying to press the issue until I advised my Bible was in my locker. I commented, I will be happy to show you the truth.

     Sadly, I see a dramatic decline in our morals, our beliefs, and the tragic effects upon our nation. Our nation is currently facing very economic troubles, almost close to the Stock Market Crash of 1929. The financial crisis is effecting every family, business, or charity. No one can escape the financial crisis but everyone has an opinion or comment on who to blame. It is obvious; we are frightened, scared, and worried about our future. If we listen carefully, we can hear the weary cries of the desperate, hurting, and lonely hearts. On television, many charities will display the hurting, hungry, or abused to pull upon our heart strings to get our attention. Nevertheless, we must understand the hurting come from different places, ethnic backgrounds, or social statuses. The hurting live amount us, they walk down the street, work at your job, or shares the same pew at your church. We don’t have to travel the world to see this. Instead of trying to solve our problems, we are blaming everyone and everything. Some will advise the financial institutions are to blame, the governments lack of involvement, or consumers spending over their budget, or the current or past presidents.

     Understandably, our financial crisis is the “hot” topic of discussion at work, church, or anywhere we go. Our government is trying to assist our nation with monies to spend, lowering interest rates, or other programs to relieve some of the pressure. Although the pressure isn’t stopping if anything it seems to be mounting more and more. Naturally, life will moments of the “hard times” and the “good times” for us to go through. This goes with out saying “This too shall pass,” but I firmly believe we are reaping what we have sown.  Before the financial crisis, we desired to fulfill “the American dream” to place prosperity in our pockets, instead of prosperity in our souls. We have neglected our heritage, our faith, and our future by walking away from God. Now we are paying the price for our prideful decisions. We desire to “God bless America ”, one of our national songs, but we don’t want to bless Him in return. As the old saying, “We can’t have our cake and eat it too.”

    If the quote from Eisenhower is accurate, we have the ability to choose to change our present state. We need to work together as a nation but “One nation under God” in order to correct these issues. We must come back to the foundation, the Word of God, so we can walk in truth, in love, and in freedom. I choose to stand for the God I love, the country I cherish, and the children who need truth to guide their future. If we choose to ignore the issue, we forfeit our future.

     Only "if" my people who are called by God's name will seek His face and turn from their wicked ways.  It's time to make a stand, who are you following?  American needs to follow God with not just her lips but her heart.  2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

No comments:

Post a Comment