Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Manna Or Maggots

As I drove to work this morning, my heart was very burdened for my family.  Since I run the finances, I am completely aware of what comes in and goes out.  It’s seems as the children have grown, so have their needs and wants.  I admit it’s very hard to keep telling my children, “Not now but maybe later” or the next paycheck we can.”  As parents, we always try to give our children a special treat or something special, it’s one of the greatest joys of seeing their smile.  We love them, so we desire to give good gifts to them.  During their early childhood, I would weekly do something special for them, a new toy or game.  Or we would go out to eat once a week; it was just fun family time.  Sadly, a few years ago our family suffered numerous financial hardships: my husband had to have surgery; I got laid off, a flood in our house, and eventually losing all we had.  So, we are rebuilding our lives, it’s hasn’t been easy.
 CryBaby1.jpg image by kloverpanda     While on the road, the tears came rushing down my face, I couldn’t contain it.  Since I was alone, I could really cry out to God.  I mean really “cry out.”  All I could mutter out, “Jesus, I just can’t carry all of these burdens anymore.”  “I just can’t.”  As I continued to drive, the Lord spoke to me, It’s time to give it to me, completely.”  Although I have entrusted the Lord with my salvation, it’s seems I struggle with trusting Him for the daily manna.  As I quietly waited on the Lord, a song came on the radio by Nicole C. Mullin, “My Redeemer Lives” which quickly reminded me “Who” is in control of my Life.  As I listened, I was reassured of a precious truth, “God spoke the world into existence, so He is adequate to take care of me.”  

 If you study the journey of the children of Israel to get into the Promised Land, it was actually should have been a seven day journey.  Instead, it took forty years for them to arrive but God took care of their needs.   God will always remain faithful to His Word to His children.  Keep in mind, the children of Israel grew impatient, complained, and rebelled against God.  Yet, God never denied the children of Israel their needs.   
      Deuteronomy 29:5, “During the forty years that I led you through the desert, your clothes did not wear out, nor did the sandals on your feet.”
As they journey into the desert, the children of Israel faced hunger.  So, the people cried against Moses and Aaron, so the people were anxious.  So, they attacked their leadership and God for their lack of substance.  Also, they desired the past substance of Egypt.  Instead of trusting God, they attack God.  Interesting, the one who delivered them from bondage is being attacked for lack of provision or care.  While being attacked, the Lord advises Moses of His plan, He would provide it miraculous.  Daily the people were to gather enough for the day: morning would be manna and quail in the evening.  Only on the sixth day were they to gather more, to prepare for the Sabbath. (Exodus 16)     
 Deuteronomy 16:18 “And when they measured it by the omer, he who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little.  Each one gathered as much as needed.”  In other words, NO ONE WENT WITHOUT, EVERYONE WAS SATISFIED, God took care of them.  As they daily gathered, they were not to “save” anything.  Some disobeyed, so they got maggots. 
     As we read the story of the Israelites, it’s easy to shake our heads, “Why didn’t they just trust God?”  “How could they doubt the One who miraculous delivered them?”  Well, we do the same.  Instead of trust God’s word, we get angry with a delay but it comes on time.  Or we panic to try to solve all of our problems, so we get “maggots.” (More problems)  As I write this, I am reminding myself, “My Redeemer Lives!”  Jesus, the One who miraculous delivered my soul, He will provide for my needs.  Yes, He will provide for me, even when I grumbled.  He is my Shepherd, I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment